Middlebrough Employment Tribunal (Teesside)
Address - Telephone - FAX - Email - Contact
Middlesbrough Employment Tribunal Teesside
DX: 65137, North Shields 2
SOLICITORS HELPLINE: ☎ 0345 515 0362
aberdeen | ashford | bedford | birmingham | boston | brighton | bristol | burnley | burystedmunds | cardiff | carlisle | dundee | edinburgh
exeter | glasgow | hull | huntingdon | inverness | kendal | leeds | leicester | lincoln | liverpool | london central | london east | london south
manchester | middlesbrough | newcastle | norwich | nottingham | reading | sheffield | shrewsbury | southampton | taunton | telford | watford
Middlesbrough is an industrial town, situated along the South bank of the River Tees's in North Yorkshire which extends past the council's boundaries into the neighbouring boroughs of Redcar and Cleveland.
Middlesbrough has nearly 140,000 residents however the overall local area has about 175,000 inhabitants. The town is a portion of the extensive built-up area or conurbation of Teesside which has a populace of almost 400,000.
In 1968, a merger of many boroughs formed the Teesside County Borough, which was later absorbed by Cleveland County. In 1996, Cleveland County was done away with, whilst Middlesbrough became the unitary authority in North Yorkshire.
Erimus the Latin for 'We shall be', became Middlesbrough's motto. This was meant to signify that the town would grow. This also brings to mind, 'We have been', or Fuimus which was the Bruce family motto, former Lords of Cleveland during the Middle Ages. The coat of arms for the town bears the Bruce family azure lion, a star from the coat of arms for Captain James Cook and two ships, which represent maritime trade and the shipbuilding industry.
The settlement upon which Middlesbrough was founded started when St. Cuthbert consecrated a monastic cell in 688 at the request of St Hilda who was the Abbess of Whitby. Lord Robert Bruce of Cleveland & Annandale confirmed and granted St. Hilda's Church of Middleburg to Whitby in 1199. King Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries in 1537 whereupon the establishment was closed.
Subsequent to the Angles, this area became the home of Vikings. Many Viking descendants are still abundant in the area. Stainsby, Ormesby, Tollesby, and Maltby, distinguished as Viking by the suffix 'by', were separate Viking villages, and now are Middlesbrough suburbs. Mydilsburgh was the earliest form of Middlesbrough recorded during the Anglo-Saxon era, 400-1000. Many of these villages were listed in the 1086 Domesday Book..